Baltimore County School No. 7

From DAS Wiki
Baltimore County School No. 7
Site Information
Address200 Ashland Rd.
Cockeysville, Maryland
Geo-reference39°29′43″N 76°38′31″W / 39.49539°N 76.64181°W / 39.49539; -76.64181
Building Data
Building TypeEducational
Architectural StyleQueen Anne Victorian
Number of Floors2
ArchitectFrank E. Davis
National Register of Historic Places
ID Number1007

School #7, District 8 at Ashland Iron Works represents a drastic departure from the standard school design that had been for years the norm in Baltimore County. In fact, it was the first individually-designed school built by the Baltimore County Board of School Commissioners with public funds on land donated by the Ashland Iron Works, proprietor Col. Wm. B. Franklin. Prominent Baltimore architect Frank E. Davis, one of the founding members of the Maryland Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, was commissioned to design the building, which was built by Robert G. Merryman. The structure is a fine and intact example of Queen Anne-style architecture of substantial masonry construction, employing marble from the Butler quarry (the same quarry used to construct the Washington Monument and many other prominent Washington, DC and Baltimore landmarks). It is also representative of the work of Frank E. Davis (1839-1921), a prolific architect in the Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia region. This schoolhouse is also important for its association with the company town of Ashland, as it is built to educate the children of mostly Irish and German iron workers. It is further noted that many community functions, meetings, and celebrations took place at Ashland School #7 during the 47 years it remained in service, on the hill, at the only entrance to the village.[1]

  1. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 07/24/2000, [1]