Stony Run Park

From DAS Wiki
Stony Run Park
1903 stony run park detail.jpg
Site Information
Address200 block W. Cold Spring Lane
Loading map...
Above Sea-level (ft)300
Type of facilityPark
FounderMaryland and Pennsylvania Railroad
OwnerMayor & City Council of Baltimore
Landscape ArchitectOlmsted Brothers
Opened to PublicAbt: 1903
Path from Stony Run leading up to Oakdale Road

Jillian Storms and Sandy Sparks have lectured extensively on the history of Stony Run Park. See: Olmsted's work in the Stony Run Valley

Olmsted Brothers, 1903, detail of park plan for Baltimore encompassing Stony Run Park between West Cold Spring Lane and Belvedere and Northern Parkway, identifying the entrance to the park at the end of Oakdale Road in Roland Park. Stony Run Park now encompasses the bed of the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad. Image taken from the map appendix to the 1987 reprint of the Report from the Development of Public Grounds for Greater Baltimore by Olmsted Brothers, 1904, published by the Friends of Maryland's Olmsted Parks & Landscapes, with annotations to the image by Edward Papenfuse, 2021.

Three plans prepared by Olmsted Brothers are in the collections of the Friends of Frederick Law Olmsted, Maryland State Archives, MdSA 5339-55:

In 1935 the City of Baltimore published a base map for the city which was used by Edward Bennett Mathews, the State Geologist, to indicate the amount of Overburden covering the underlying rocks. The first three images on the left are taken from high definition images available from the John Hopkins University on line map collection. The image on the far right is from an original privately owned which appears on the website