William G. Nolting
|William G. Nolting|
November 24, 1940
Loudon Park Cemetery
SERVICES TODAY FOR W.B. NOLTING
Noted Architect To Be Buried In Loudon Park Cemetery
Funeral services for William G. Nolting, 73 year old architect, who died Sunday night at University Hospital, will be held at 2 P.M., today, at St. Michael and All Angels Protestant Episcopal Church. The services will be conducted by the Rev. Dr. Don Frank Fenn, the rector of St. James' Church, My Ladies Manor. Burial will be in Loudon Park Cemetery.
BORN IN THIS CITY The death of Mr. Nolting, who was a patient at the hospital for a week came from a cerebral hemorrhage.
The son of the late A.W. Nolting, of Richmond, Mr. Nolting was born in this city, while his mother was visiting here. He obtained his early education in public schools of Richmond and studied architecture in offices of architects.
He came to Baltimore to follow his profession in his early twenties, forming a partnership with the late J.B. Noel Wyatt, a graduate of the Ecoledes Beaux Arts, Paris. Mr. Wyatt died in 1926 and a later partner was John H. Scarff, a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and of the American Academy in Rome.
DESIGNED COURTHOUSE Winner in a nationwide contest, Mr. Nolting's firm designed the Baltimore Courthouse and the Fifth Regiment Amory. After a fire at the Armory in 1933, the firm drew the plans for remodeling.
The firm also designed the first apartment house erected in Baltimore, the Arundel Apartments. Other buildings include the St. Paul Apartments, 11 East Chase street; St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church, Mount Washington; The Second Church of Christ, Scientist, on Liberty Heights avenue; a hospital at Waynesboro, Pa.; the Frederick Douglass homes project and many of the dwellings in Guilford, Roland Park, Homeland and the Green Spring Valley.
OTHER WORK ACCOMPLISHED The firm also drew the plans for the new post office at Waukeegan, Ill., winning the honor in a nationwide contest. Other examples of the firms work are located in Virginia, West Virginia and other states. The firm was consultant for the Church Home and Infirmary and the Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital. Restoration of the Baltimore Municipal Museum was according to plans drawn by the firm.
Mr. Nolting was a past director of the American Institute of Architects and past president of the Baltimore chapter of the organization. At different times he was a member of the Gibson Island Club, the Charcoal Club, the Baltimore Country Club, the Maryland Merchants and University Clubs and the Farmington Country Club, of Charlottesville, Va.
Mr. Nolting is survived by his wife, Mrs. Fannie Bonn Nolting; a son, Wyatt Nolting, and a daughter, Miss Frances Nolting. The family home is at Glencoe, Baltimore county.
- "Obituary". Baltimore Sun. November 26, 1940.