1009 North Calvert Street

From DAS Wiki
Revision as of 13:42, January 14, 2022 by Jml (talk | contribs)
1009 North Calvert Street
Site Information
Address1009 North Calvert Street
Geo-reference39°18′05″N 76°36′47″W / 39.3015°N 76.61293°W / 39.3015; -76.61293
Building Data
Building TypeDwelling
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
MaterialBrick
Number of Floors4
Design
ArchitectJ. Appleton Wilson
Architecture FirmWilson and Wilson
Construction
Start Date1880
Completed1880

This house was built in 1880 as part of Belvidere Terrace, which encompasses the two sides of the 1000 block of Calvert Street and is generally thought to be the best Victorian block in Baltimore and the best urban example of the Queen Anne style in the United States. The house was designed by Wilson & Wilson and built by George and Charles Blake. The developer was Catherine L. McKim, widow of John S. McKim, Sr.

The McKims had lived at Belvidere, John Eager Howard’s 1788 country house, which stood in the roadbed of Calvert Street in this block. When the City required the demolition of the house, probably in 1876, Mrs. McKim and the Rev. Harrison McKim developed the east side of the block, using Wilson & Wilson as their architects . The project began in 1879 with the construction of 1035 and 1037 and continued in 1880 with the fourteen-house row stretching from 1003 to 1029. For reasons unknown, the houses at 1001 and 1039 were not part of this project and were designed by other architects.

In the next year, the McKims developed the west side of the block in the same style but with a different team, Wyatt & Sperry architects and Blake Brothers builders.

Source: Historic American Builders Survey. HABS MD 1177