1035 North Calvert Street
|1035 North Calvert Street|
|Address||1035 North Calvert Street|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Number of Floors||3|
|Architect||J. Appleton Wilson|
|Architecture Firm||Wilson and Wilson|
This house was built in 1879 for Catherine L. McKim, widow of John S. McKim, Sr. It is probably best thought of as the model house for the development called Belvidere Terrace, which encompasses the two sides of the 1000 block of Calvert Street and is generally thought to be the best Victorian block in Baltimore and the best urban example of the Queen Anne style in the United States. The house was designed by Wilson & Wilson and built by H.C. Smyser.
The house was not designed to be part of a row. Initially, the land now occupied by 1031 and 1033 was left open, and the house was oriented to receive south light.
The McKims had lived at Belvidere, John Eager Howard’s 1788 country house, which stood in the roadbed of Calvert Street in this block. When the City required the demolition of the house, probably in 1876, Mrs. McKim developed the east side of the block, using Wilson & Wilson as their architects . The project began with 1035 and 1037, built in 1879, and continued in 1880 with the fourteen-house row stretching from 1003 to 1029. For reasons unknown, the houses at 1001 and 1039 were not part of this project and were designed by other architects.
In the next year, the McKims developed the west side of the block in the same style but with a different team, Wyatt & Sperry architects and Blake Brothers builders.