About the Firm
Significant builders and builder/developers in the half-century after the Civil War, the Blakes were born in Ireland and came to America during the Potato Famine of the 1840s. They seem to have begun their work in East Baltimore, where they were building in Jackson Square by 1873. They were active in Mount Vernon by the late 1870s, building houses in Charles, St. Paul, and Calvert Streets. They built the Winans house at 1217 St. Paul Street to designs by McKim, Mead, & White, as well as a row of marble-fronted houses in the 1200 block of St. Paul Street and the west side of the 1200 block of Charles Street, all designed by Charles L. Carson. They also built the east side of Belvidere Terrace, designed by Wilson and Wilson, and the two blocks of Eutaw Place between Mosher and Wilson Streets, destroyed by Urban Renewal.
Henry died childless in 1883. The other two brothers had long and prosperous lives and died at good addresses. Charles lived until 1912, leaving descendants named Duff. George, described by the Baltimore Sun as the man who realized that Baltimore could support a great fashionable district like Belgravia in London, lived until 1923. One of his daughters gave the money for Loyola High School, known as Blakefield.
|Two houses for Geo. A. Blake||1884||10-12 West Biddle Street|