Cottage for G.C. Wilkins near Rider's NCRR
|Cottage for G.C. Wilkins near Rider's NCRR|
|Owner||George C. Wilkins|
|Architect||J. Appleton Wilson|
|Architecture Firm||Wilson & Wilson|
|Start Date||May 1879|
George C. Wilkins was the General Manager of the Northern Central Railroad. J. Appleton Wilson had designed his city house at 100 E. Biddle Street in 1876 or 1877. Rider's Station, now known as Riderwood, was a stop on the Northern Central.
Wilkins, an English-born civil engineer, came to Baltimore when the Pennsylvania bought the Northern Central and brought to Baltimore the practice of selling cheap commuter tickets, which the Pennsylvania had been using for years in the suburbs of Philadelphia. This started Baltimore's first suburban boom and incidentally set the pattern for Baltimore's fashionable suburbia, which follows the two branches of the Northern Central line to this day -- through the Greenspring Valley and up what is now the Northern Central Trail.