June 18, 1829
School of Design, London
(The following taken from the Biographical Cyclopedia of Representative Men of Maryland and the District of Columbia)
Lind, Edmund George, Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, was born at Islington, near London, England, June 18, 1829. His father, William Alexander Lind, an engraver, is still living in London in the seventy-sixth year of his age. He was of Swedish descent. His mother, Elizabeth Violet Lind, deceased, was of an old English family. Her father was colonel of a dragoon regiment, fought on the British side in the war of the Revolution, and was wounded at Bunker Hill. Being disabled he received a pension, which was continued to his widow after his decease. Mr. Lind had two brothers, the eldest, William Alexander, is a Presbyterian minister in Lancefield, Victoria, Australia; the youngest, Charles Henry, was a legal practitioner in London. He died in 1876. The subject of this sketch was educated without reference to any particular calling, acquiring in Birmingham, where his father lived for nine years, the rudiments of an ordinary school education, making especial proficiency in ornamental writing and drawing. His earliest tastes were of an artistic nature, drawing and painting being his favorite pastimes. After leaving school he was placed in a lawyer's office in London, where he remained several years; but disliking the profession he abandoned it to study architecture at the School of Design in London under Mr. C.M. Richardson, an eminent architect and the author of several works on Elizabethan architecture. He also studied water-color painting under Mr. R. Redgrave and other professors at the School of Design. In 1849 he made an engagement with Mr. John Blose, architect, doing business in London, with whom he served three years. At the expiration of that term he was employed as principal draughtsman and manager with an architect in London and another in Sheffield. In 1855 he came to this country, arriving in New York November 14 of that year. There he was introduced to several prominent architects, and in less than two weeks he had three offers of employment, one of them from the architect of the First Presbyterian Church of Baltimore, which he accepted, and at once entered upon his duties. The building progressed under his directions until April, 1856, when he went into partnership with Mr. W.T. Murdoch. Four years afterwards they dissolved their connection, and he has since then continued business on his own account. During the years 1859-60 he was a member of the Fifth Regiment of Maryland Guards, which was disbanded in the early part of the late war. Mr. Lind is President of the Baltimore Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Knight Templars, Maryland Historical Society, St. George's Society, Young Men's Christian Association, Academy of Sciences, and of the Academy of Fine Arts. In his youth he was an Episcopalian, but for the last sixteen years has been connected with the Presbyterian Church, and is now a member of the Brown Memorial Church. He was married to Miss Margaret, sixth daughter of William T. Murdoch, a drygoods merchant of Baltimore, April 23, 1863. They have five children, three sons and two daughters. His most important works in Baltimore are, in part, Peabody Institute, Masonic Temple, Carroll's Buildings, Brown's Building, Cartlan's Marble Store, Armstrong and Cator's Iron Building, Dr. John's Memorial Church, and Franklin Square Presbyterian Church. He has erected many public and private edifices in Virginia and North Carolina, and some in South America.
|Memorial Episcopal Church||1860||1409 Bolton Street|
|Peabody Library||1878||17 E. Mt Vernon Place|
- Biographical Cyclopedia of Representative Men of Maryland and the District of Columbia. Baltimore: National Biographical Publishing Co. 1879. pp. 708–709.